Golinda, Texas, on US Hwy 77 and the boundary between Falls and McLennan counties, was named for Ignacio Galindo, a priest, who received an eleven - league land grant from Coahuilla and Texas in 1833.
Early settlers began arriving in the 1840s and were drawn to the area by the rich agricultural and timberlands and the proximity to the Brazos River. They included Henry Duty, E.N. Hatch, Charles Westbrook, E.C. Farney, R.F. Wooley, Spencer Allen, R.L. Majors, and Ludwig Guderian.
Stagecoaches traveling between Hempstead and Waco crossed the Brazos River at Rock Dam Crossing (originally known as Shake Rag) near what is present-day Satin, Texas. A ferry operated on this section of the river, and in 1851 Gilbert Jackson erected the area's first sawmill at Rock Dam Crossing.
Golinda was a stagecoach stop between Marlin and Waco. The stagecoach company built a two-story cedar log structure on the north slope of Golinda Hill. It served as an inn for travelers where they could get a bed and a hot meal. The town also boasted a saloon and a general store.
The first post office was established in Golinda in 1860 with Henry Hatch serving as postmaster. The last post office was housed in D.E. WooIey’s general store (located in the same area as the present-day Country Store). Mr. Wooley served as postmaster until 1902 when the post office closed.
The first school in Golinda was built near the site of Majors Chapel Church on what is now CR 423. It was a one-room log structure that served the children of the area. Throughout its history, Golinda has had several schools. The last school building was located near the area where the three flag poles now stand in front of the Golinda City Hall building. It closed in 1934, and students began attending schools in Rosenthal, Cottonwood, and Chilton.
The Golinda Baptist Church was organized in 1873. Members met in the schoolhouse until a one-room building was completed in 1917. The church has been rebuilt and renovated several times over the years. It continues to serve the community of Golinda.
In the 1930s” cotton was king” in the areas surrounding Golinda. The Golinda cotton gin serviced area farmers until the 1960's when it was sold and moved. Corn and wheat replaced cotton as the major crops.
Golinda built the first community water system south of the Mason-Dixon Line. It was completed and put into operation in 1957 at a cost of $31,890. Today, Golinda Water Supply remains a co-op owned waterworks with two wells to service the community.
Golinda became an incorporated city in 1973 and currently has a population of 600. The town has grown to include a bar and grill, a storage facility, and a Dollar General store. Farming and ranching continue to be a major source of revenue for the area.